Close X

Child Support

The child custody and support arrangements that worked at the time of your divorce may not work today. People change, jobs change and so do the best interests of your children. If you need to change your divorce orders, you can file a court action to seek a modification. We serve clients in St. Tammany Parish and surrounding areas.

At Oriol Law Firm, we guide people through the modification process. The following are examples of when you can seek a modification of divorce orders:

  • If your income increases or decreases significantly, child support payments may be recalculated.
  • If your child isn't getting along at home or at school, child custody may be changed.
  • If an older child wishes to live with a different parent, child custody may be changed.
  • If a parent's lifestyle changes and this change puts the child at risk, child custody or visitation may be changed.
  • In some cases, spousal support may be changed.

To approve a change in child custody, the court must find that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the last order was issued.

What if a Custodial Parent Wishes to Relocate?

If you have joint legal custody of your children and the other parent wishes to relocate with those children, you should consult with an experienced attorney who can protect your parental rights. If a parent moves a child without permission from the court, that may be cause for seeking a change in child custody.

What if My Ex Refuses to Follow a Court Order?

If your ex willfully violates a court order to pay child support, provide visitation, or return a child after visitation, you can file an enforcement action in court. If your ex refuses to follow a court order, he or she can be found guilty of contempt.

Serving out-of-state clients: Oriol Law Firm represent clients from other states who have child custody and support issues in St. Tammany Parish and surrounding areas. We use Zoom, e-mail, and the phone conferences to keep you informed regardless of where you live.

For More Information About Child Support and Custody Modifications

David Oriol will conduct an honest assessment of your case and advise you on what to do next. To schedule a consultation, call us at (985) 845-2227 or contact us online.

Oriol Law Firm Is Here for You

The Oriol Law Firm is committed to providing its clients effective, trusted representation. Whether from a divorce, complicated custody and support dispute, or a devastating injury, our goal is to offer streamlined, innovative solutions to your most stressful legal problems.

Contact us Today

We understand that sometimes life can bring unexpected and stressful challenges. The Oriol Law Firm is here to give you clear direction and guidance backed by years of experience. To schedule a meeting with our award-winning attorney who gets results, call 985-845-2227 or fill out and submit the online contact form above.